There are lots of big words in telescopy, and the broader realm of Astronomy
in general. Herein you will find the definitions for all the different
multisyllabic words I use in my series on telescopy!
- Angular Resolution is the minimum distance required between two objects in order for an optical device to distinguish them as separate. Related to Resolving Power.
- Chromatic Aberration
- Field Curvature
- Focal Length
- Focal Ratio
- Lens Sag
- Mirror Sag
- Objective: The lens at the front end of a dioptric system, or the large primary mirror of a catoptric or catadioptric system. Light-gathering power and image resolution increases with the size of the objective.
- Reflective (see Catoptric)
- Refractive (see Dioptric)
- Resolving Power is the ability of a device to separate two objects that are located far from the device but close together.
- Spherical Aberration